Rough Book

random musings of just another computer nerd

Month: July, 2011

Fixing Maven 3.0.3’s dependency-resolution performance-regression

TL; DR; version: Maven 3.0.3 has a performance-regression while resolving dependencies. This is because it uses version 1.11 of aether. The problem has been fixed in version 1.12 of aether, but a version of maven with this library is not available. I built maven from source with the 1.12 version of aether, so use if you have the same problem.

The whole story: At work we use Maven to build our project. Over the last few months, we started noticing a disparity in build times between different developers even though the hardware they were using was similar to each other (Core i7’s with 6 Gb RAM). Initially we suspected that it might have to do with SSD performance-degradation. Some of us were using SSD’s that didn’t support TRIM and others didn’t have TRIM enabled. I was one of the few with the former problem. I secure-erased my drive but still saw no performance benefits. I even got a new drive and even with that I didn’t see much of an improvement either.

We finally realized that the build-time disparity was related to the version of maven some developers were using. On maven 3.0b1, build times are much faster compared to 3.0.3. In 3.0.3 there is a performance regression when maven tries to build the dependency graph. For example, using 3.0b1 our project built in 3 minutes and 30 seconds, whereas using 3.0.3, the build times were upwards of 9 minutes. Long build-times take away from the amount of productive coding-time a developer has.

I was determined to find the reason for this performance regression and did some investigation by looking at the source for 3.0b1 and 3.0.3. In 3.0b1, maven uses its own code to resolve dependencies and build the dependency graph, whereas in 3.0.3 it uses the aether library. For more background information on the matter, take a look at this post on the maven developer’s mailing list and this JIRA issue.

Long story short, to get better build times, maven needs to use version 1.12 of aether. I downloaded the maven source and edited the pom.xml file to use version 1.12 of aether. I then built maven from source and got a deployable version that uses the newer aether library. When I tested it out, the build times were comparable to 3.0b1.

I initially thought that version 3.0.4 of maven would include version 1.12 of aether. But it turns out that there were licensing changes and so the maven developers are discussing whether to include it. In the meantime, you can use this version of maven that I built from source, which includes version 1.12 of aether. It’s a zip file and you can install it like you would normally install maven.

Generating API Documentation from XML using XSLT

I work at Infusionsoft, and we offer our customers API access. Visibility and access to the various tables and their fields is controlled by an XML file on our end. Naturally, our customers require user-friendly documentation that tells them what tables and fields they can access and in what manner. Previously, a former developer had written a maven goal that would generate the API documentation from the XML file. Unfortunately this was something that he did on his own and the code wasn’t in our subversion repository. When that developer left, we decided to take a look at the code to see if we could continue generating the documentation using the maven goal. We determined that the original solution though helpful, involved a lot of work in Java simply to generate API documentation. This was when I suggested using XSLT as it would be a remarkably lightweight solution and it is also perfectly suited to this task. My colleagues agreed and so I decided to go ahead with the task. There was one slight problem though. I had very little experience with XSLT! But how hard could it be? I love learning new things anyway!
Read the rest of this entry »

Implementing JSONP in Spring MVC 3.0.x

In Spring 3, it’s very easy to get a view to return JSON. However, there is no built-in mechanism to return JSONP. I was able to find a pretty good tutorial That uses Spring’s DelegatingFilterProxy. I implemented this solution and I got it to work, but I didn’t like the fact that I had to create a separate filter and a bunch of other classes just for that. I also wanted to use a specific extension (.jsonp) for JSONP just to make it more explicit. Spring uses MappingJacksonJsonView to return JSON. I figured that I could extend this view and have it return JSONP instead of JSON.
Read the rest of this entry »

All original content on these pages is fingerprinted and certified by Digiprove
%d bloggers like this: